The Keaton Cartel is a collection of loosely organized thieves, criminals, and black market traders that steal hard to find items and resell them for a substantial profit. They are universally despised by many governments and civilized races for their criminal activity. The Cartel itself is run by several powerful and wealthy robber barons. Though the Cartel is a loose affiliation, they maintain very small armies to defend their operations should they be uncovered and attacked.
The Cartel is completely nomadic, never operating out of the same base for more than a few days. However, the Keatons have been known to approach governments and ask for sanctuary while offering a cut of their illegal profits. Should a faction accept the Keaton Cartel under their umbrella they'll have a lucrative stream of rupee income, though Black Market activity will draw criminals from all over Hyrule to their base of operation.
Actions that can get the Keaton's attention include:
- Building structures that improve economy, particularly trade.
- Training or hiring Keaton mercenaries.
- Training merchants and spies.
- Training any unit with the Stealth attribute.
- Completing Keaton Cartel missions.
As such, factions with heavy emphasis on trading and merchants (Ex. Ordona Province) or stealth and deception (Ex. Sheikah Cadre) will naturally have an advantage when trying to attract Keaton attention. Once you've gotten the attention of the Cartel, they'll ask if they can set up shop in one of your cities. If you continue to appease them they'll upgrade their Hideout to a Cartel Base and eventually a Black Market, offering you all of their bonuses and units.
- Keaton Hideout: A small and hidden hut housing a small band of Keaton thieves. From here the Keatons can operate in the black market and bring you in a portion of their income. In addition, they can offer some military aid for a price.
- Keaton Cartel Base: Firmly established in your city, the Keatons have expanded their markets and now operate from a hidden base. Black Market operatives move in and out of your city, bringing with them a fortune in rupees: a portion which is offered to you for sheltering the Cartel.
- Keaton Black Market: With your government support of the Keatons, the Cartel can now operate in the open and your city now houses the largest Black Market in all of Hyrule. Shady traders flock to your city in order buy ill gotten and stolen items, weapons, and doodads from all over the land. You'll need some tight security however: many of the black market traders drawn to your city will undoubtedly bring criminal activity with them.